Saturday, October 9, 2010

Hour 17: Banned Books!


My mini-challenge for this hour is to make an argument for any book to be banned. I'm going to go with one of the books I'm reading: Jason Fagone's Horsemen of the Esophagus: Competitive Eating and the Big Fat American Dream

My pitch: In an age of growing health concerns and childhood obesity, we should not be exposing our children to the "sport" of competitive eating. By noting that competitive eating is sometimes shown on ESPN and that top gurgitators (that's the author's word) are paid in prize money and trips, this book sets a dangerous precedent. After all, who wouldn't want to go become a competitive eater after reading about stomach stretching, and downing 50 hotdogs + buns in 12 minutes?

Whenever I hear about banned books I can only imagine whiny complaints of "What about the chiiiiiillllllldddddreeeennnnn?" So, there we have it.

1 comment:

Kate @Midnight Book Girl said...

Awesome argument!

Read, Read, Read!
You reach for the next book you need,
Another pot of coffee, better brew it strong
But I'm still here to cheer all night long!